Garbage Pick-up will now be on Mondays for the entire Village.
Garbage Pickup contact number is 204-886-7923
Bundled branches and materials such as leaves will be picked up on the same day, but in a separate run. Leaves and yard waste must be placed in compostable or paper bags, as plastic bags are not burnable or compostable.
Recycling will be picked up the same day as your garbage.
All recycling must be placed in the blue bags or clear bags and SORTING IS NO LONGER REQUIRED:
- Please be sure your containers are rinsed out
- No wrapping paper, paper towels or tissue please.
- No, Styrofoam, plastic packaging, aluminum foil, foil pie plates or hazardous waste.
- Please place your blue or clear bags in the location you normally use for garbage.
- Blue or clear bags can be purchased at most grocery store locations.
- A recycling bin will be located at the Landfill Site if you wish to drop off your recycling.
- Loose materials will not be sent for recycling processing - ALL RECYCLING MATERIAL MUST BE CONTAINED IN A BLUE or CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
- May23, 2023
- July 4, 2023
- August 8, 2023
- September 5, 2023
Hours of operation of Village of Dunnottar Landfill Site:
- From April 16th to October 15th, inclusive
- (SUMMER HOURS)
- 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- From October 16th to April 15th, inclusive
- (WINTER HOURS)
- Monday to Thursday
- 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- New Year’s Day
- Family Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day
- August Civic Holiday
- Labour Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Remembrance Day
- Christmas Day
Click Here for Household Hazardous Waste Brochure
We have in place a program to pick up yard waste separately, allowing us to place them in a designated area where we are allowed to compost.
This can reduce landfill by up to 50% thus extending the life of the site. Many landfills in the area (Gimli, Stonewall, Selkirk, etc.) have been forced to close as they reached their capacity.
Council is also looking at ways to implement a re-cycling program. We have no choice but to address the problem and try to find solutions. There are government grants and funds available for such programs and we must take advantage of every opportunity to develop better management of our garbage disposal. Items that may be included in cardboard and yard waste are:
All paperboard boxes including ones used for processed foods such as cereal boxes, etc., soap boxes, flyers, bags and boxes used for pet foods, etc. must be placed in a blue or clear plastic bag. Loose materials will not be collected for recycling.
Further, we may have to ask residents for I.D. when using the landfill site as we are experiencing problems with non-residents from surrounding areas using the dump site. This puts a burden on the site and is hard to control without this measure.
The following materials are considered electronic recyclables:
- Computer Cables with or without connectors
- Computer Cards such as sound, video, network, modems, controllers
- Circuit Boards from computers, printers, fax and scanners
- Internal or external CD-ROM's, DVD and CD-ROM Burners
- Electronic typewriters
- Fax machines
- Hard disks (HD) and floppy drives (FD)
- Laptops, laptop parts
- Laptop accessories, chargers, batteries, cables and cards
- External Modems
- Networking Equipment, cards, hubs, routers, switches, cabling
- Personal Computers (CPU, monitors, keyboards, mouse and peripherals)
- Inkjet and Laser Printers
- Software Manuals, CDs, DVDs and Diskettes
- Cassette and reel-to-reel Tape players/recorders
- Mobile Radios and FRS phones
- Remote controls (television and stereo)
- Games decks such as Play Station, X-box and Nintendo
- Mobile (cell) phones, chargers and batteries
- Pagers and answering machines
- Regular telephones, corded or wireless
- Stereos, Televisions, entertainment equipment
- Batteries, dry-cell and rechargeable
- Paper shredders
- Fluorescent light bulbs, tube or compact
- Remember, we also take ink cartridges from copiers, faxes and printers!
The following materials are not considered recyclable through this program:
- Large appliances such as fridges, ranges and freezers
- Air Conditioners, water coolers or portable fridges
- Small appliances such as roasters, toasters or broilers
Contact the Selkirk Learning Center 204-482-2111.
- They are located at 511 Robinson in Selkirk.
Used Oil Recovery Depot
- You can now take, clean used oil to the landfill site and drop it off at our used oil recovery centre.